A city of culture and creativity
The cultural life of Lyon is characterised above all by the perfect balance between its cultural institutions of excellence offering quality programming, its large-scale festivals, and cultural venues that are open to everyone.
That is why Lyon has been named France’s number 1 city for culture (outside of Paris) and indeed the city’s culture is one of its main tourist attractions.
Among Lyon’s excellent institutions are the Maison de la Danse, the Opera House, the National Orchestra of Lyon, the Institut Lumière devoted to cinema, the Fine Arts Museum, the Célestins Theatre, the Contemporary Art Museum and more.
Festival of Lights in Lyon – © www.b-rob.com
Internationally-renowned cultural events
- Fête des Lumières (December): 4 million visitors in 2012
- Biennial of Contemporary Art (September to January): 200,000 visitors in 2012
- Biennale of Dance (September): 300,000 visitors in 2012
- Nuits Sonores Music Festival (May): 103,000 spectators in 2013
- Festival Lumière (cinéma – october)
- Nuits de Fourvière Music Festival (June-July): 166,000 spectators in 2012
Biennial of Contemporary Art – © Liu Qingyuan & YAH Lab