Digital content: Lyon, a cross-media area
Lyon, 2nd digital hub in France
N° 1 sector of excellence in the city for growth (in %) with 7,000 companies providing 50,000 jobs.
Greater Lyon is formidably fertile soil for the digital industry. The city boasts all the assets the sector needs to develop in a sustainable way: schools and laboratories with excellent reputations, a strong entrepreneurial and industrial culture, suitable properties and infrastructure, and it also hosts major events.
2nd higher education hub in France, boasting:
- Over 300 digital training courses at universities and many specialised French engineering schools (INSA Lyon, Mines St Etienne, CPE Lyon, Ecole Centrale, ENS Lyon, Polytech Lyon etc.), including 9 Master’s degrees and 9 AI majors.
- A vast number of digital training courses: Epitech, le 101, Epita, IT Akademy, Le Wagon, Wild Code School, Simplon, Ecole LDLC, and Campus Numérique Région and so on.
2nd largest software development job pool in France
- 20th most attractive city for developers in the world – ahead of Paris, in 27th place (source Nexten.io Where to live as a Software Engineer 2018)
- 14.8% French programmers located in the Auvergne Rhône Alpes region (after the Ile de France region inc. Paris at 38.9% and ahead of Occitanie 8.1%) Source: Stack Overflow 2017
- N° 1 French cluster for software publishers: Digital League
- A dynamic Tech community (over 47 Meet-ups, Lyon Tech hub, Cuisine du Web, Lyon is Ai, Crypto Lyon, CARALyon, Lyon Data Science etc.)
2nd research region in France and 10th in Europe
35,000 researchers in the region, 13,300 of which based in Greater Lyon (all sectors)
- €6.5 billion invested in research every year (all sectors)
- More than 25 ICT and Applied Mathematics laboratories in Lyon/St Etienne: LIRIS, LIP, Hubert Curien, CITI Lab, INRIA, Eric, IRT SystemX, Creatis, ICJ, UMPA ENS etc.
- 1 global innovation cluster: Minalogic (micro/nano technologies and Software)
Lyon/St Etienne, French Tech Capital
- 2nd start-up ecosystem in France, around 1000 start-ups in the Lyon/St Etienne area. (Source FTone)
- 20th European city for start-ups and scale-ups (EDCI 2016)
- 2nd French investment region with €267 billion raised in 54 deals in 2018 compared with €108 billion in 53 deals in 2017 (EY Venture Capital Barometer in France)
- 10 business accelerators and 20 incubators including the H7 accelerator, totem space for French Tech.
The digital sector serving industry and sectors of excellence in Lyon: