What should I see in Lyon?
- Guided tours by the Lyon Tourist Office: pick a theme or a neighborhood, for example the “traboule” passageways of Old Lyon, or the Lyon-Confluence district, among many others.
- River tours. See the city from a different angle, at a reflective pace that allows you to grasp the connections between the different quarters and architecture styles that unfold along the rivers. (LYONCITYBOAT).
- Double-decker bus tours run every day, taking you to from the Presqu’ile (peninsula) to Old Lyon and up the hill to Fourvière. Multilingual audio-guides are available (LYONCITYTOUR).
- Or explore the town by bicycle, using the Velo’v self-service system. A favorite outing is the banks of the Rhone River, with dedicated lanes for cyclists. Or give it a try on a Segway, for a new and fun experience (MOBILBOARD).
No trip to Lyon would be complete without enjoying local cuisine. The small “bouchon” restaurants have put Lyon on the world culinary map with their many traditional specialties. A visit to the fine foods market, Halles Paul Bocuse, is a must. Not far from the Part-Dieu train station, this food mecca will give you an idea of the incredible diversity and quality that makes Lyon a capital of gastronomy.
If you come in December, the Festival of Lights (around December 8th) is a famous event based on a local tradition and now attracting thousands of tourists to the spectacular light shows. Nuits de Fourvière and Nuits Sonores are two major music festivals that confirm Lyon’s cultural force of attraction.
As a historic converging point, Lyon offers an atmosphere enjoyed by tourists from all over the world. And the city was even elected “Europe’s Top City Break Destination” in 2016. After an enjoyable weekend in Lyon, you’ll surely be tempted to move here permanently.
- Read also
- What are the advantages of the city of Lyon?
- Lyon, second city of France?
- What is the ONLYLYON brand?
- Where is Lyon?
- What international-size companies are based in Lyon?
- What is the history of silk in Lyon?
- How do I set up a business in Lyon?
- What companies are based in Lyon?
- Lyon: the best city in France?
- Will I be assisted if I choose to set up in Lyon?
- What are Lyon’s key areas of know-how?