With France’s second-largest network of higher education and research institutes, the Lyon area provides a pool of highly qualified students, researchers and employees. Thanks to its nationally and internationally renowned schools and training programs, the region is home to nearly 10% of higher education students in France. Every year, some 15,000 foreign students come to study in Lyon.
As the second largest labor market in France, Lyon offers companies easy access to the qualified personnel they seek, proficient in foreign languages and adaptable to an international environment.
- 164,000 students including 13% of international students
- 11,493 in engineering schools and 13,964 in business schools
- 14,000 international students welcomed by the «Students Welcome Desk» which provides services and information for a successful start to the academic year (visa, work, transport…)
- 1,000 courses in many specialities
- 5,400 PhD students based at Université de Lyon establishments
- 2 campuses with an international scope : LyonTech la Doua and Charles Mérieux
- €116 M invested by Lyon Métropole for higher education between 2014-2020
- 550 public/private research Labs
- 13,300 researchers and teacher-researchers, including 1,800 international researchers
- A website dedicated to students in the area: Lyon Campus
A hub of highly qualified engineers
- 20% of all engineering students in France are educated in the Auvergne-Rhone-Alpes region
- 32% of engineers trained in Auvergne Rhône-Alpes pursue their careers in the region after graduation.
- +150 researchers in pure AI
- 8 dedicated laboratory teams
- 9 master’s degrees and 9 specialisations or majors
- #1 region in France with the most engineers (after the Ile-de-France region)
- 96,000 engineers in Auvergne- Rhône-Alpes in 2016 (SOURCE : IESF SURVEY)
- Centrale Lyon & Insa Lyon : ranked amongst the best engineering schools in France for their Academic Excellence
Lyon and the surrounding area are home to a significant number of schools – from nursery (crèche) to upper secondary school (lycée) – that offer an international syllabus. They dispense a wide variety of programmes and qualifications to foreign-national, dual-national and bilingual children.
Education tailored to polyglots in each age group
In Greater Lyon, 7,000 pupils are enrolled on international learning programmes. Once able to walk, they can receive education with a European or international focus in schools across the metropolitan area.
- 8 bilingual crèches;
- 8 bilingual nursery schools, 1 trilingual and 1 quadrilingual;
- 10 bilingual primary schools;
- 5 international lower secondary schools (collège);
- 48 lower and upper secondary schools (collège, lycée) with a European section;
- 10 languages taught.
International schools guide
Our international schools guide lists these establishments and presents their education programmes. It’s a precious aid to help parents choose – depending on their children’s prior pathway, tastes and career intentions.