When you choose Lyon, you choose one of the most attractive cities in Europe, an international competitor and a gateway to the rest of the world. Each year Lyon attracts an increasing number of businesses with a wealth of talent. Set up your company in the heart of the Auvergne Rhône-Alpes region, one of Europe’s most thriving regions.
- 1,385,927 inhabitants in Greater Lyon
- 17% of the region Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes (7.9 million inhabitants)
- 2nd largest urban area in France with 2.3 million inhabitants
Companies & employment
- 140,480 public and private entities (SMEs and 200 medium-sized businesses)
Source: Insee-REE 31/12/2017
- With 29,471 companies created in 2019 (+20.7 %), the economic vitality of the Lyon metropolitan area makes it the perfect place for entrepreneurship.
Source: Insee-REE 2019
- 770,000 jobs
Source: Insee-Estel 2016
- 594,300 of which are salaried and in the private sector
Source: Acoss-Urssaf 31/12/2018
- 15,250 jobs created in the private sector up 2.6% in one year vs. 9,660 in Toulouse, 8 000 in Bordeaux, and 7,900 in Aix-Marseille
Source: Acoss-Urssaf as at 31/12/2018
Attractiveness & international influence
- The second most attractive metropolitan area in France after Paris for international investors
Source: EY Attractiveness Survey France 2019
- 114 companies relocated by Aderly in the Lyon region area 2,427 jobs created over 3 years, 51 foreign projects.
Source: The Lyon Region Area Economic Development Agency (Aderly) 2019
- Lyon remains the 1st most attractive and dynamic French metropolis.
Source: Arthur Loyd Barometer 2019
- 26,500 Ambassadors of ONLYLYON network, in 120 countries, including almost 20% abroad
- 388 foreign invested establishments – 57 800 employees
Source: CCIR 201777 consulates
- 4 international networks of cities: DELICE (gastronomy), LUCI (urban lighting), EUROCITIES (major European cities) and SILKYCITIES (silk)
- World-renowned organizations have also chosen Lyon as the location for their headquarters: Handicap International, OMS, CIRC (International Cancer Research Center), Interpol, Euronews…