Lyon gathers a high-level economic and scientific structure by its quality and its density. Thus, it is among Europe’s most important clean technology development regions. Big industrial groups and SME’s, public and private R&D centers, marquee training establishments compose the cleantech landscape in Lyon, France.
On this basis, the region of Lyon allocates more money to renewable energy than any other in France. Thanks to a strong political commitment, and its cleantech development plan Lyon is the great business opportunity in France for testing innovative environmental solutions.
The Lyon region is reknown for its excellence in the field, where specialists in chemicals and materials, transport and mobility, and energy transition find the ideal conditions for experimentation and competitive advantage.
- 76,500 jobs, including 24,900 in transport and logistics and 4,900 in environmental technologies and services (Acoss-Urssaf, 31/12/2017)
- 6,100 establishments, including 2,950 in transports and logistics and 550 in environmental technologies and services (Insee-REE, 31/12/2016)
- 2,000 researchers
- 20.8 billion euros in sales (Lyon urban area)
- 214 billion euros in capital raised between 2010 and 2015 (study by Greenunivers 2015)
- Top European territory for smartgrids
- 75 projects supported across the territory thanks to a strategy to boost the circular economy
In the Lyon region you will find
- Large companies which have chosen Greater Lyon: Boralex, Elkem Silicones, I-Ten, Inevo Technologies, Kem One, Navya, Solvay, Statkraft, Toshiba (Smartgrid)…
- Major competitiveness clusters: Axelera, for the chemicals and environment sector, Cara, for the transport and mobility systems sector, Tenerrdis, for the energy transition and renewable energies sector, Techtera, for the textiles and flexible materials sector, Lumière cluster, for the lighting and light design sector…
- Research centres, technical centres and academic institutions: CNRS, INSA Lyon, École Centrale Lyon (school of engineering), ENS Lyon, University Claude Bernard Lyon 1, ENTPE, State school of civil engineering and more
- Innovation platforms and demonstrators: Axel’One, for innovative materials and processes, Transpolis, for connected, driverless, mobility of the future, Piseo, for lighting technologies, Provademse, for environmental technologies (circular economy, environment, energy), Supergrid Institute, for energy efficiency and massive integration of renewable energies in utility grids…
- Sites that contribute to the dynamics of cleantech innovation: Lyon Confluence, Lyon Chemical Valley, Lyon Parilly Factories, LyonTech-la Doua campus.