A sector of excellence in the Lyon area, the Life Sciences consist of the application and development of scientific principles and advanced technologies in the field of health. A benchmark in France and internationally in the health and life sciences sector, the Lyon metropolitan is home to big names in the industry and offers top-class sites for innovative companies. It is a genuine driver of the local economy.
- 72,500 jobs
- 12% of overall employment
- including 14,700 jobs in biotech-pharma-medtech and 57,800 jobs in human health
- 2,100 establishments with employees (source: Insee-Sirene, 01/2018)
- 2nd largest teaching hospital complex in France
- 1,600 clinical trials conducted every year by the Lyon civil hospices
- €1.3 billion of funds raised by Lyonbiopôle’s members between 2013 and 2018
- N°1 worldwide in human vaccines (Sanofi Pasteur), veterinary products (Bohringer Ingelheim) and bacteriological diagnostics (bioMérieux)
- Top vaccine production centre in the world
- 6500 researcher in the Rhône-Alpes region
- 40 hospitals and 32,000 beds
- 20,000 students in the field of Life Sciences
- One of the greatest university teaching hospital concentrations in Europe
- N°1 center in France for tissue engineering
Within the life sciences and health sector, the Lyon region specialises in:
- vaccines, immunology, infectious diseases
- medical technologies, including micro and nanotechnologies
- dermocosmetology, especially tissue engineering and 3D bio-printing
- nutrition • medical textiles
- veterinary public health, with the world-first centre created in this field (Hub VPH).
In the Lyon area, you can find :
- Major Companies : Adocia, Aguettant, Arrow, Baxter, bioMérieux, Boehringer Ingelheim, Charles River, CTI Biotech, Edelris, Enyo Pharma, Episkin, Erytech Pharma, Gattefossé, Medtronic, Merck, MSD Vaccins, Mylan, Poxel, ResMed, Sanofi Genzyme, Sanofi Pasteur, Theranexus, Thuasne and more.
- A local ecosystem highly collaborative and which covers the entire value chain:
- Lyonbiopôle: a world center of excellence in biotechnologies such as infectious diseases and immunology, vaccines, diagnostics, oncology and neurology
- 2 teaching hospital complexes, including the Lyon civil hospices (HCL)
- a major academic research hub: University of Lyon
- business incubators and dedicated sites
- national and international regulatory agencies: ANSM, Anses, IABS…
- numerous international organisations and facilities: WHO, IARC, Inserm Jean Mérieux Bio-safety Level 4 Lab, etc.
- Two major sites for the health sector in the Lyon area : Lyon-Gerland Biodistrict and Lyon Bioparc.